Monday, March 09, 2009

Stem Cell Research

Today's big news in the Obama administration is that the president removed restrictions from stem cell research. Reported The Oval, a USA Today blog, tracking the Obama presidency:

“The audience burst into applause at several points when Obama implicitly rebuked former president George W. Bush for what opponents have characterized as making decisions based on ideology rather than sound science.”

Of course science is, and should be, regulated by those silly little morals. To not do so is exactly what Dr. Joseph Mengele counted on -- and what made him succeed. It's also what allowed the Tuskegee Unchecked-Syphilis Study to run unchecked by the U.S. Health Service from 1932-72.

As Mengele reportedly said, "The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it."

(I'm all for research of adult stem cells and cells gathered from umbilical cord blood.)

2 Comments:

Blogger dog grrrrl said...

I so disagree with this post. The objection I had was Bush using "his" religion to make decisions for all of us.

We don't all agree on a particular religion but I think most of us can agree on some basic priniples of science. Further if you take religion out of the decision making process it doesn't put you in the same frame of mind as Mengele and to suggest that is slightly offensive to me.

I would suggest that those of us who behave without religion do it not because we are afraid of etermnal damnation but because it is the right thing to do. Not such a bad thing I think

8:46 PM  
Blogger dog grrrrl said...

Oh and I'm not learning disabled I just have crumbs in my keyboard:)

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home