Friday, March 13, 2009

Dragging Out The Last Battle



Every year I read through C.S. Lewis' Chronicals of Narnia -- in the original order. (More on that later.)


The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

Each book take me about two to three sittings to read, and I usually finish all seven books in about two months.

In the many years I've made my annual foray, a different "favorite" pops up, and I find myself identifying with a different character. So what's the problem?

I hate The Last Battle. This isn't because it's less well written; it's because the tales are ending. I've had this book on my night table since, oh, January. Each night I crawl through about half a page.

As of last night, Emeth is wandering around Aslan's country; the children realized this is "the real Narnia," so no need for Lucy and Jill to mourn the first Narnia; Digory cracked a joke about modern schools; they will all soon swim up a waterfall. And, as must happen: All the dogs went to heaven.

I hate it when this book ends. Better read them all again next year ...

1 Comments:

Blogger hopemcp said...

Last night, I decided I have to admit to myself that I won't finish the book. I may as well put it back on the shelf and try again next year.

Now I'm on to Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home