Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Creation Groans

As brushed my teeth today, I watched the water tumble out the faucet. I watched it for a second, then quickly stopped the flow. How many people in Katrina's wake even have their toothbrushes with them? I thought. I made myself enjoy the blessing (yeah, the blessing) of a full tube of Pepsodent (with whitening) and the availability of clear, running water in which to spit.

A visiting pastor recently said that the Apostle Paul told believers in Rome that the whole earth cries out, waiting for God to be revealed. The apostle added, "We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time."

Well, I'd never thought about natural disasters being the earth's groans. But the December 26 tsunami and now the late-August Hurricane Katrina (and earlier earthquakes and tornados!) have made me realize that, yes, the earth is waiting and feeling the painful effects of the Fall, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home