Friday, June 17, 2005

Summer Rereads

Newspapers and magazines make a point of filling column inches with lists of great books to read each summer, whether on the beach, in an airplane, or just lolly-gagging at home. An avid reader, I’m left cold by those lists. Instead, each summer I pour through my Summer Rereads list.

I go back to my bookshelves and pull out one book after another. Like comfortable old friends, they don’t fail me.

Here's my list for 2005:

All seven of the Narnia tales by C.S. Lewis. (I'm into the fourth book now.)

The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (I'm partial to slave narratives, the first American genre.)

Something by Dick Francis, most likely Smokescreen, which would be great on the big screen.

Beauty, a particularly terrific retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley.

And so on until September. Ahhhhh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home